Quick Take: WEF 2019 accelerating SDG finance through collaboration
360° discussion at the Sustainable Impact Hub in Davos
Kali Taylor (Advisor at SDG Lab and Project Officer at the International Institute for Sustainable Development) moderated a panel on the theme: “Accelerating SDG Finance through Collaboration”. The discussion was held on January 23, 2019.
It is well known that one of the largest challenges to implementation of the SDGs is adequate financing. The UN estimates some US $5-7 trillion will need to be mobilized each year to achieve the goals, and this cannot be met by foreign aid and development assistance alone. Private finance has the potential to fill the funding gap, but this will require enhanced understanding and collaboration between the development and finance sectors.
• Lise Kingo, CEO & Executive Director, UN Global Compact
• Simon Smiles, Chief Investment Officer, Ultra High Net Worth Individuals, UBS
• Gabriela Ramos, Chief of Staff and Sherpa to G20, OECD
• Nadina Stodiek, Fund Manager PPP Mandates, Impact Manager, BlueOrchard Finance
• Francois Jung, Lead on Finance and Innovation, The Global Fund
Read more: Kali Taylor’s summary of her time at this year’s WEF: “Davos, Sustainable Development and an Open Mind.”